Organic Hulled Einkorn
Organic hulled Einkorn is milled from the kernels of whole, in the hull, Einkorn. The outer hull is removed, leaving the kernel, including bran and germ intact. The Einkorn is certified 100% organic through the USDA National Organic Program. This is a single ingredient product; nothing is added to the Einkorn in the hulling process. Einkorn is the oldest domesticated wheat, origination over 10,000 years ago. It has a sweet, nutty flavor and chewy texture when cooked. It has a light yellowish coloration due to its high levels of the antioxidants beta carotene and lutein.
Typical Analysis Values:
Moisture: Maximum 14%
Protein: 17-19% avg.
Ingredient declaration: Einkorn (triticum monnoccum)
Allergen declaration: Contains wheat. Processed in a facility that handles Einkorn and wheat.
Storage: Keep cool and dry. Refrigerated storage is highly recommended.
Expected Shelf Life: 1 Year in refrigerated storage
25 or 50 lb. multi-wall paper bag or 2000 lb or 2200 lb tote with printed tag and lot code.
- Einkorn provides an alternative for many people with gluten sensitivites Einkorn isn't gluten free, but it lacks the specififc gliadin proteins that trigger intolerance. Its unique gluten structure is very digestable.
- Einkorn is a "diploid" having only two sets of chromosones, a very simple genetic structure. Modern wheat is a "hexaploid" - having six sets of chromosomes and a very complex structure. More Genetic complexity leads to more potential health issues.
- Einkorn is the most nutritious and flavorul of all wheat, but it's also the lowest yielding.
- Einkorn has only one small kernel per spikelet.
- Einkorn is a "hulled" or covered wheat making it more difficult to process than modern free-threshing wheat.
- The challenges of processing Einkorn preserved Einkorn, keeping it genetically pure.
- Einkorn from Nature's Organic Grist is grown organically with no chemical fertilizers, herbicides, or pesticides.
Food Use Strengths
Einkorn Flower is great for sourdough and artisan breads.
Lacks gluten strength for breads with high loft.
Excellent for crackers, cookies, flat breads, quick breads, pizza crust, and pasta.
Whole kernel Einkorn is excellent in soups, salads, pilafs, main dishes, and blended with other grains.